002 – Jeff Hawkins
Jeff Hawkins Mr. Hawkins is an engineer, serial entrepreneur, scientist, inventor and author. His life-long interest in neuroscience and theories of the neocortex has driven his passion for building a technology based on neocortical theory. Previously, he founded two mobile computing companies, Palm and Handspring, and is the architect of many computing products such as the PalmPilot and Treo smartphone. In 2002, he founded the Redwood Neuroscience Institute, a scientific institute focused on understanding how the neocortex processes information. The institute is currently located at U.C. Berkeley. In 2004 Jeff wrote the book, On Intelligence, which outlines Hierarchical Temporal Memory (HTM) and describes progress on understanding the neocortex.
Top 3 Takeaways.
- Intelligent machines should be judged by their ability to incorporate a set of dynamic properties with respect to their environment, not complete or understand a specific task.
- Intelligence and consciousness are co-dependent. Consciousness allows our brain to recall specific memories in order to make intelligent decisions.
- By understanding the neo-cortex, you can show that it is both biologically testable and something you can implement for use in software and hardware.
- [1:26] Mr. Hawkins talks about what led to his inspiration to combine neuroscience and computer science.
- [2:23] Mr. Hawkins talks about the goal and vision for Numenta.
- [3:20] Numenta’s progress and timeline for understanding the brain and the history of becoming a brain theorist.
- [4:50] How Numenta is different than other deep learning techniques.
- [6:35] Mr. Hawkins talks about how he defines intelligence.
- [8:40] Mr. Hawkins talks about how he defines consciousness versus intelligence.
- [9:38] The current interpretation of human consciousness and why fear of AI is irrational.
- [11:45] AI as an existential threat to humanity and the importance of understanding how brains work.
- [14:01] Mr. Hawkins shares his main takeaways on what he has learned from writing On Intelligence over the past 10 years.
- [16:00] How do you translate research into a salable product?
- [19:50] Rapid fire question round with Mr. Hawkins.
- Numenta Website
- Numenta Research Papers
- On Intelligence: How a New Understanding of the Brain Will lead to the Creation of Truly Intelligent Machines by Jeff Hawkins with Sandra Blakeslee
Disclaimer: We actively write about the themes in which we invest: artificial intelligence, robotics, virtual reality, and augmented reality. From time to time, we will write about companies that are in our portfolio. Content on this site including opinions on specific themes in technology, market estimates, and estimates and commentary regarding publicly traded or private companies is not intended for use in making investment decisions. We hold no obligation to update any of our projections. We express no warranties about any estimates or opinions we make.